American Made Nails - Tremont Nails - 190 Years of Excellence
The original building was constructed by shipwrights in the early 1800's as a cotton mill. It was partially burned by the British in the War of 1812, then rebuilt and purchased by Isaac and Jared Pratt in 1819 to manufacture nails. The mill was partially destroyed by fire again in 1836. Reconstruction was completed in 1848 and the mill stands today as it did then, without any significant changes over the past 150 years.
There are 60 nail machines in the mill, many over 125 years old, still cutting nails today the same way they did a century and one-half ago. The main mill is one of five buildings on the site over 100 years old.